We had a good night

>> Saturday, June 20, 2009

We went to bed around 1:00am and just had a sick feeling in my stomach. I knew Kamryn was struggling after the surgery and the medical team was working so hard to get her numbers back to the good range. Besides doing procedures, that was the first time her room was really busy with activity. There were 5 or 6 people from the medical team pouring over her chart, tweaking the vent, checking her blood gases, hooking up blood pressure meds, etc. Honestly, I wimped out last night and had to leave or I would have gone crazy.

I made that walk down the long halls to the NICU this morning and my stomach was turning. It's always an anxious walk because you don't know what news you are going to get. Each time we have received fantastic news, but this time was a little different because I saw her struggling last night. One of the doctors smiled at me when I turned the corner and approached her room and I think he knew I was anxious. That was his way of telling me, as soon as possible, that we actually had a good night and I could breathe. What a relief! Kamryn's vent is down a little bit, blood pressure is up to normal, oxygen saturation is fantastic, blood gases look very good and her carbon dioxide is down in the 50's vs. the 70's which is huge progress. Today and tomorrow will be all about letting her body rest so the vent will stay up higher than it has been over the past couple days. No need to test or push her at this point. She is a little swollen right now which we expected, but she is peeing like a champ and is working the fluids out really well. She is back to her positive trend!

Brooke is also doing so well. They took her IV out last night so she is officially disconnected. I was able to feed her last night around 11:30 and she did fantastic. We can officially say she is not a worry at this point and I really think she will be discharged from the NICU tomorrow.

Stef is still in a lot of pain and discomfort. We thought she might be out tomorrow, but I'm not so sure now. No need to rush it so we will see how the rest of the day goes.

I'm off to get some breakfast. I will definitely give everyone an update this afternoon on all of the girls.

Shawn

6 comments:

AliciaB June 20, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

That is such great news! Kamryn is such a fighter! Great news on Brooke! So great to here she'll be out of the NICU soon!
Thank you for all the updates!
We really appreciate them all. Can't wait to meet those beautiful babies! : )
Much love!
Alicia

Tracy Meats June 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Happy to hear that Kamryn is doing good. The first few days after surgery are very rough, but hang in there, she is a fighter and that is great she is doing better this morning. Praying she continues with this trend and she lets her body rest this weekend. Prayers going out to Stephanie that she may not be in so much pain and feels better today. That is great news that Brooke may be discharged soon!

Keep fighting Kamryn!!

Much love, Tracy

DevonLeah June 20, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

your second paragraph made me ant to cry because it is still so fresh in my mind. I would never want anyone to have to go through that sick feeling. I am glad Kamryn had a good night. that is a huge blessing!! Such good news for a cdh baby!
Yah for Brooke doing so well!

Anonymous June 20, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

We are praying for all of you and we are so pleased that both girls had good reports.

God is so good!

Sarah and Barry Mayer June 20, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

My heart was in my stomach reading the beginning of your post, being taken back to those first few days with Jaxson. My thoughts are with you and I am praying for continued success and recovery for both girls.

Happy first Father's Day Shawn!

Sincerely,
Sarah

Jaime's World June 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

Hey Guys,
Welcome to the CDH Roller Coaster! It's quite a ride if I do say so myself!
Glad to hear that Kamryn is stabilizing and that Brooke is on her road to recovery, too!
Wishing you all the best!
Love and prayers,
Sheryl

P.S. Happy 1st Father's Day being the father of THREE, Shawn!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP