Had a little scare, but all is good!

>> Friday, February 27, 2009

So, yesterday afternoon, after about the 30th trip to the bathroom of the day, I realized that my underwear appeared to have a little bit of amniotic fluid. When you're pregnant, you get all kinds of nice surprises down there... Anyway, it kind of startled me, so I called Shawn. He said to immediately call our high risk OB. I told him I'm sure it's nothing, let's just see how it goes for another day or so. Well, he insisted that I call. So, I did. Thankfully, I work right next door to their office, and was able to get in before they closed. They started with a sono, and right away the fluid looked normal. Dr. Zaretsky showed me the membrane that separates the two babies, and it was flowing like a rope in water. He said that's a good sign. He measured the fluid and all looks fine. He then checked my cervix and although it looks closed and long, he did notice that Kamryn's placenta is touching my cervix. Nothing to be alarmed about, but that could or could not be part of the cause of the "leaking". He assured me that this is not a big deal and not to fret about it. So, I'm not.

He did take the time to look at Kamryn's chest for just a little bit, and we were finally able to see her diaphragm. There is a long, constant line all across her chest. We weren't able to see the hole, but I was so happy to see that barrier. Her stomach and intestines are still up. He said that her stomach is so filled with fluid, that it could be the reason why her liver isn't able to get up there. Praise God! He also told me that it's okay that her stomach has a lot of fluid in there. That just means that she knows how to, and is practicing her swallowing. We need that!!! He looked for her liver and said that he doesn't think he sees it. Again, it's hard to tell these things on a sono, but he really looked hard. His words... "I'm hopeful". And the icing on the cake was when Kamryn let out the biggest yawn ever. It was the most adorable thing. He played that over and over for me to see. Oh, it was just so cute!!! And all during that time, Brooke kept kicking and moving all around. Almost like she was saying, what about me??? We measured both of their heartrates. Brooke's was 140 and Kamryn's was 134. Both, good and strong!

When I got home, I told Shawn I felt like a dork leaving there, b/c it was kind of a false alarm, and I really don't want to be one of those people that calls the doctor for every single twinge. Shawn said that given our situation, we have every right to question things. I will admit, being pregnant with two, feels different than being pregnant with one. Kamryn's kicks are so low, that it worries me, but the doctor said it's normal with twins. It feels like she's going to Kung Fu her way out! I was telling my mom and sister the other day that it truly feels like I'm full term. I'm only 21 weeks, and my belly is HUGE! I asked Shawn last night, how in the world can my stomach get any bigger? Guess we'll find out!

Oh, and the last bit of news!!! For Spring Break, we are going to visit Children's in Houston to get a second opinion. We have a Fetal MRI scheduled on the 20th, along with a visit with the surgeon and we will also get to visit the NICU. This will definitely give us something to compare Dallas to, which will be really nice. Since it's Hollie's Spring Break, we're going to try to make it as fun as possible, and take her to the Children's Space Center the day before. I told her about it this morning and she asked if we were going to go up in a spaceship. Priceless!!!

That's about it!!! I've had a really good past few weeks. I think we're going to paint the girls' room this weekend, which I'm SOOOOO EXCITED ABOUT!!! Hollie's going to be really jealous about it, so we're going to have to do something special for her as well. She told me this morning that if we're going to paint the babies room, then she wants a Hannah Montana room. The jealousy has already started!

One more thing... Last night as we were going to bed, Shawn said that he was so worried about me. While I was at the doctor, he was busy picking Hollie up from Gymnastics, getting her ready and taking her to soccer practice, all while his truck was overheating. He was so stressed out and so worried. Bubba - I didn't mean to worry you. I love you so much and I'm so thankful to be in this fight WITH YOU!!! You're my teammate and we are strong! This is our battle to win!!!

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Our next appointment is with Zaretsky on March 5th!

Love,
Stephanie

I have been given this verse 3 times by different friends within the last 3 weeks. This one is so meaningful to me!!!

Phil 4: 6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus".

5 comments:

Tracy Meats February 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Dear Stephanie and Shawn,
What a scare, but you totally did the right thing by calling your doctor. Making sure those girls are okay and don't need any intervention at this time is what is important. I can't imagine how you feel with two babies...it was hard just carrying one baby for me. From your post, it sounds like the girls are doing good and are strong!! You have every reason to be hopeful for your girls.

Getting a second opinion never hurts for you are picking the hospital that will help Kamryn survive. The Children's space center sounds fun too and Hollie will have a blast! Have fun painting the girls' nursery--you will have to share pics when you are done.

You and your family are in my prayers. I hope you don't have any more pregnancy related scares and the girls keep getting stronger with each passing day. Have a good weekend!

Hugs, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04 and WY and CO State Rep. for CHERUBS

Fer February 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Dear Stephanie and Shawn, I'm sure you were scared but thank God everything looked fine. I'm praying for you!
Fer

Jen February 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

Glad it was a false alarm, but NEVER feel bad for going in to check something like that out!! As a labor nurse, I'd rather see a patient 20 times for false alarms than have her sitting at home with a problem, because she's afraid to come in. I always tell my patients this when they feel bad for coming in. That's what we're there for!

How very cool that you got to see Kamryn yawning! It's so amazing what you can see these babies doing in there sometimes.

Jen

Anonymous March 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

Hey Stephanie!
I am sorry about the scare, but FWIW, I was always scared! Don't feel bad about being the "annoying patient," that is what the high risk docs/OBs are paid to do-reassure patients that need it! DH and I were very scared, all. the. time.---because of the previous multiple losses, and what happened to the baby that we lost at 20 weeks.... Plus because twins are higher risk (and we lost a triplet with this pg).... Needless to say there were many, thankf G-d, false alarms and runs to L&D! Yes, I got very big, lol, if you can imagine a 5'2'' person meassuring 48 cm right before delivery-that comes out to 8 weeks overdue! When I went in for fetal echocardiograms at 29 weeks, a woman in the elevator asked me if I am due soon--I told her a couple more weeks, she looked at me kinda funny (I didn't mention that it was twins). In the end I slept upright propped up on pillows!
I hope that the trip to Houston will shed more light on the situation, and that you all will get to enjoy, as much as possible, some family time together. Hollie, sounds sooo cute--a little bit green already, lol ;)

Hang in there, and take it easy!

Lotusflower

baby Jackson March 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

Hi Stephanie, hope all is going well with you. Call or e-mail if you want any tips on Houston. Hope everything goes great.
Kimberly

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP