Day 2 in the NICU

>> Thursday, June 18, 2009

First, thanks to my sister-in-law's sister, Christina, for making the button on the left column of the blog. She did an amazing job with it and we appreciate her so much!

I FINALLY got to see my daughters today. After more than 24 hours of having them, I was able to be wheeled down to the NICU. First stop, Kamryn… Oh, she’s such a doll. She’s doing so well. I’ll let Shawn fill you in on her stats. But, her color is beautiful. She’s pink and perfect. While Shawn was behind me talking with the nurse about her stats, I was busily looking her over, and admiring how much she looks like Hollie did when she was born. It’s so neat to see the similarities. Her hair is a little darker than Hollie’s was, but they really do look alike. I can’t wait to hold her. Her little chest is pumping away, but she’s doing so well. Again, I’ll let Shawn fill you in on those details.

Next, onto Brooke. Oh My!!!! She’s a chunky monkey. All the nurses are asking me how it felt having both of them together in my belly. Just to give you a frame of reference, Brooke weighs the exact same as Hollie did when I delivered her at 41 weeks. 7 pounds and 14 ounces. Plus Kamryn’s 6 pounds, 6.6 ounces. Anyway, Brooke’s little cheeks are just so chunky and cute. I got to hold her too. She was just so sweet. I could see her eyes trying so hard to focus on my face. It was such an amazing moment to share with her. I’ve been back down to see her one last time before I went to bed, but I didn’t get to hold her this time.

I’m doing better. The pain was so intense in recovery. It took the nurses and doctors a long time to get it under control. And once I got into my room, the nurse that I had was lacking any sense of urgency. So, once again, my pain got ahead of me, and it took them all night to get it back under control. Never mind the fact that we couldn’t understand a word that she spoke. So frustrating!!!! But, I’m doing a lot better today and starting to feel the pain meds kick in for the night. I’m going to hand the laptop over to Shawn to update y’all on the girls.

Brooke is doing great and is still on room air levels with her CPAP. I expect them to take her off assistance tomorrow because she is doing so well. Kamryn is really surprising everyone. Given her initial scans and images in utero, no one expected her to be doing this well after her 24 hour honeymoon period. They were finally able to get a PICC line into her arm for meds and nutrition and her oxygen setting is in the mid 20% range which is really low. Ventilator setting has been pulled back because the CO2 levels are getting easier to control. Actually, the surgeons said that if her echo would have been just a bit better, they would have talked about surgery today just a day after she was born which is incredibly fast. They are actually talking about surgery tomorrow if she continues to do this good or possibly Monday. The only problem she currently has are with her hematocrits (crits) which are in the low 30’s. Basically, this means she will need a blood transfusion tonight or tomorrow before any surgery can happen.

We are taking one day at a time, but we have now won day 1 and 2 and are ready for day 3!

Shawn and Stephanie

9 comments:

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

I am so proud of all of you! Shawn and Stef, you are amazing and doing a wonderful job coping with all of the issues that have accompanied this totally unconventional pregnancy and birth. GO KAMRYN! Auntie J is so proud of you! And Brooke, Auntie J can't wait to change your little stinky diapers and love on you!

Keep up the great work.

Love, Jen

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

It is so good to hear all of this wonderful news. I have been obsessively checking the blog every thirty minutes to see how these beautiful babies are doing. The prayers will not cease! Love, Courtney
PS-Auntie J, give me a call!

Maxton's Mommy June 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

WOOHOO!! Go babies Go! They are just sooo adorable! I'm glad you were able to get in a little cuddle with Brooke, Stephanie! Thanks for keeping us well informed Shawn. I just know Kamryn is going to do AWESOME!!! :-)

Much love and many prayers
Ash

Tracy Meats June 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

What a wonderful update!! Kamryn sounds like she is doing very well and that is awesome she may have her surgery soon. Fight Kamryn Fight!! Hope Brooke is doing lots better tomorrow and can come off the CPAP and get more cuddles from mom and dad. How is Hollie doing? Has she got to see the girls yet? Prayers that you continue to heal Stephanie, Kamryn keeps kicking some CDH butt, and Brooke is home soon. Hope you have another stable and uneventful night.

Much love,
Tracy

Jaime's World June 18, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

The girls are beautiful!
I can't wait for Miss Kamryn to join our CDH Recently Repaired Club! Glad to hear that BOTH girls are holding their own!
I'm also happy to hear that Stef's feeling better, too. Those c-sections stink! As hard as it is, make sure to get your rest!

Hug and prayers to all.

Sheryl

Jenn Miller June 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

OH MY! I just could not be happier to hear such fabulous news! Go Studdard Girls! Wow they are superstars, amazing!
Congratulations!!! Prayers for continuing strength and fight as well as for those that are caring for y'all!
Love,
Jenn Miller

Marion June 19, 2009 at 7:01 AM  

I am so glad your grils are doing so well. These little ones are so amazing! Sending much love to you from Atlanta!

Marion

Anonymous June 19, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

AWESOME news on the girls! We are sending prayers and love to your family!

Sallie Mercer June 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Stef -- you are quite a WOMAN!!! My little Aidan was only 5 lbs. 7 oz. when I delivered, and I'd had such an awful time carrying him for weeks prior to that. You handled more than TWICE that load with grace and ease! I'm so proud of you, and couldn't be more pleased to hear all of the wonderful news and to see the pictures. What beautiful girls you have... all 3 of them! In your wildest dreams, did you ever imagine? :)

Continued thoughts and prayers are with all of you as you face today's challenges. Hope the positive trend continues, full speed ahead! It's been wonderful to hear so much good news already.

Love,
Sallie

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP