Unexpected change in plans......

>> Monday, June 15, 2009

First, I have to say welcome back to Dr. Zaretsky who has been on vacation. He is our MFM doctor and will deliver Brooke and Kamryn along with Dr. Trylovich. It's such a relief to have him back in town and ready to go when these girls are ready to enter the world!

We have tried so hard to not plan anything or expect things to happen a certain way because those plans will likely fall apart. We did though plan on delivering this Wednesday......... Dr. Z called Stef this morning to check in, confirm our Wednesday delivery plan, and ask about the amnio procedure to check for lung maturity. A few weeks ago Stef and I decided we weren't going to do the amnio test and just go get the girls at 37 weeks. After talking with Stef this morning, my mind started racing and I couldn't help but think the test wouldn't be a bad idea after all. I called Dr. Z and Dr. Savani, who have been my voice of reason throughout this process and trust them beyond words, to get their take on the issue. After learning a thing or two about the test, there was no doubt we needed to go down this path to be sure.

The test is just like a regular amnio procedure except they test the fluid by adding a chemical, shaking it, and watching for a reaction. If there is no reaction, it indicates the lungs aren't mature. This has nothing to do with the CDH condition, but rather if the lungs (in both girls) have had enough time in utero to form and participate effectively in oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange once born.

We decided to go ahead and do the procedure at 1:00 today and then waited, what seemed like an eternity, for the results. Around 5:00 one of the doctors came in to tell us the result of the test was negative indicating the lungs are not mature yet. It felt like the world had just collapsed around us. Honestly, there is a selfish side to all of this. You just want to get on with the show, you want to hold your child, you want to know how this story will end, and you just want one thing to go as planned or expected. You quickly realize though that this is about the girls and if we would have delivered on Wed, Brooke would have probably worked through everything, but Kamryn would have been in a more distressed situation. Kamryn has 25% of the lung volume that Brooke has. We are asking so much of that 25% to begin with and asking that little bit of lung tissue to support her life without even being mature would have been an awfully big mountain to climb.

Tonight we are disappointed that we won't see our little girls when we expected to, but we once again understand that they are charting the course, not us. We are also so thankful to our doctors for leading us in the right direction and making the right decision.

We will find out tomorrow the results of the extended tests that will give us actual numbers relating to lung maturity and a better idea of how long we need to wait. Right now we anticipate it being 1 more week (but we aren't planning anything yet :) )

On a happy note, I am quite confident that you all will at least get to hear more stories about Stef's very interesting life in the hospital!

Take care everyone,

Shawn

5 comments:

Jaime's World June 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

I think we've all learned to expect the unexpected when it comes to CDH. Sorry for the negative amnio. It really is better to wait, if you can. Jaime came at 34 wks., though he's repaired, we are starting to see some "preemie" issues with his weight and immature lungs!
Hang in there, it won't be much longer.
Send our love and prayers to Stephanie for us!
Best wishes to all of you!
Hugs,
Sheryl

Chanda D Brady June 16, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

I am sorry to hear that you guys have to wait longer. I'll be praying that this week flys by for you guys and that the stay continues to be an interesting one. Also, I'll of course be praying for the girls.
Chanda

Marion June 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

I am keeping you guys in my prayers. The girls are just not ready to make their entrance yet. It gives you another week of rest before the craziness starts. Take care of yourself. You are going to need all your strength and courage to get through the times that are ahead!

Much love,
Marion

Tracy Meats June 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Waiting a little longer if the girls and Stephanie are not in any trouble will only benefit Brooke and Kamryn. Babies born by c-section are at a higher risk for respiratory distress because they do not have the benefit of labor to help them prepare for breathing outside the womb. Testing for lung maturity was a good step and will only help determine when Brooke and Kamryn should arrive. Maybe they will surprise everybody and decide when their birthday will be! Get plenty of rest, for the craziness is about to begin and you will need your strength for all 3 of your girls. Thinking of you and praying for you both and your girls in the weeks to come.

Much love, Tracy

Jordan, Claire, and MAX! June 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Hey guys. I am so sorry that about the test results. Please know that we are praying for you guys and that you are in our thoughts all the time.

Never doubt the amazing abilities of God, and know that with him, all things are possible! We are standing in that promise for you!

Jordan, Claire, and Max

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP