What a day!!

>> Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Exactly 12 hours ago I walked through the front door of the hospital and am just now able to take a break. It's been quite a day.

I need to take a minute to thank our medical team today as they were nothing short of amazing. We had 27 people in the room (not including Stef and I) at one point and two photographers taking pictures of everything. I hope to post some really great pictures of the delivery once they get them to me. I especially want to thank Dr. Trylovich and Dr. Zaretsky. I watched every second of the c-section and they were an amazing team. I am so impressed with their knowledge and skill and I hope they both know how much they have touched our lives.

Stef is doing so much better with the pain at this point. We had a difficult time getting it under control early on, but it is now more tolerable. We didn't get moved out of recovery and into a room until 3:00, but Stef's world is much better now in a comfortable bed. She has slept most of the afternoon and deserves some rest. She has truly been a unbelievable today!

Honestly, the biggest surprise today has been Brooke. She has some liquid on her lungs and it is either an infection or she aspirated on some of the fluid during delivery. She has been on antibiotics today in case it is an infection. It looks like she will continue to be on the CPAP assistance for breathing for a couple days and then be able to come home. It's not a big deal at all, we just can't hold her like we thought we would be able to (I actually did get to hold her for 5 minutes today which was awesome).

Kamryn has done fantastic today given everything she is facing. She's kicking some CDH butt right now. Basically she is on gentle ventilation with an oxygen setting of 24%. Room air contains 21% oxygen so this is actually quite low. They have to keep the ventilator setting higher than you would expect with the low oxygen level to get the CO2 out of her system. While this second setting is higher than you would expect, we are totally within an acceptable range. She does have a high level of pulmonary hypertension, but not a huge surprise with her lung volume. She has maintained oxygen saturation levels in the 90% range for most of the day and I have watched it remain steady at 100% for periods of time. We want this to stay above 85% so she is doing great! The chest x-rays don't show any pnuemothorax as initially suspected and her bowels are working because she gave us a nice poopy present this afternoon!! She also opened her eyes for the first time around 5:00!

So, Kamryn won round 1 today and exceeded everyone's expectations. We remain cautiously optimistic as we know this could change at any minute. We are ready for round 2 tomorrow and expect she will win once again.

Stef and I wish we could thank each one of you individually as you all have supported us so much through this journey and so much today. The emails, voicemails, texts, and comments on the blog have been amazing. I just can't tell you how wonderful it is to hear from you all. We got all the messages and will be reaching out soon I promise.

I will update everyone tomorrow on round 2 or if anything develops. More to come tomorrow including pictures!

Shawn

28 comments:

Anonymous June 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

I know yall have had a busy day! I am so glad that the girls have arrived! I hope the night is good for everyone and all 4 of yall can rest peacefully. Sounds like both girls are tough cookies! Can't wait to see the pictures and who they look like! Stephanie call me when you feel up to it anytime. I am praying for all of you!

Sincerely,
Shelley Walls

Elizabeth June 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

WOW! Just WOW! The apgar scores - how well both are doing - they are in wonderful hands!

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and sending both of them Lung Function chants - can't hurt!
Elizabeth

Sallie Mercer June 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Congratulations to ALL of you for an incredible birthday!!! It's a big day under the most "normal" of circumstances, so you've had excitement times 20 (at least!!!). It's so incredible that you've taken the time to keep us all updated. Big hugs and prayers go out to all of you. And how is Big Sister Hollie doing???

Love,
Sallie

Terry June 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

I love you guys so much and wish I could be there with you. I am constantly thinking of you and the girls and praying, too!

ailsha June 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

Congratulations! So glad to hear that all is pretty good for now. Here's prayers it stays that way and gets better real soon!

Hugs to all~ Ailsha

Anonymous June 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

Truly amazing. I'm glad all is going well for you all. I wore turqoise today to support your CDH fight.
God Bless all the CDH babies/families.

Tracy Meats June 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

Praying for a good and stable night for both your precious girls. Brooke will be home before you know it and Kamryn is going to kick some CDH butt!! It sounds like she is doing great so far and praying for a stable, uneventful night for her. Prayers for Stephanie that she gets some rest and will soon be up on her feet to go see her two miracles. Sending you tons of love, positive thoughts and energy!! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your beautiful girls. Again, congratulations!!

Thinking of you, Tracy, Chris and the boys

Anonymous June 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

Honestly it was hard to focus today because I spent a lot of time thinking and praying for you two...Steph, I have only met you once but i know from the things that Shawn has told me that you are a wonderful person! He is so proud of you...You have brought two beautiful blessings into the world and I will continue to think and pray for all of you. What a wonderful set of parents you will make for these two girls...as you have proven by the job that you have done with your oldest as well as the preperations that you have made to protect the newest members of your family.

Jaime's World June 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

Welcome to the World Kamryn and Brooke!
Congratulations Stephanie, Shawn and BIG SISTER Hollie! ;-)
Wishing speedy recoveries for all of the girls!
A special little good luck wish for Kamryn as she begins her CDH fight!
Hug and prayers to all of you!
Love,
Sheryl

Craig and Kristi Kuehl June 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Praise God! Please keep the positive updates coming! We are praying for you all and know that Kamryn can beat this! Sending much love from CA!

Anonymous June 17, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

I can "hear" the excitement in your post tonight and it brings me to tears. What an amazing day for your family!

We have prayed nonstop today for the girls. You, Steph and Holly are never far from our thoughts. We love you guys so much and we are here if you need anything!

Anonymous June 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

Congratulations x 2!!!! Those girls already started off on a great note, with those weights, and being born at this gestational age! I think they are both tough cookies!


Lotusflower (IVFC)

Maxton's Mommy June 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Praying for continued stabilization in both girls. I hope Stephanie gets some rest. I hope that Hollie is understanding things the best she can. And I hope Daddy gets some good rest too!! Youve got your hands full taking care of all those girls! Much love you guys! I'm sporting my Kamryn CDH bracelet, right next to my Max and Addison one.. I know she has several little angels watching over her!
Ash

Jen June 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

Great news! Looking forward to pics of these two beautiful girls. Get some rest guys!

Jen

Hope June 18, 2009 at 1:33 AM  

Congratulations! What wonderful news! =)

Michael and Elizabeth Reeve June 18, 2009 at 5:18 AM  

Hi guys,

I'm sorry I havnt been in contact...the hospital has no wifi! I just wanted to say a massive congratulations!!!!! It seems the girls have done brilliantly, as have their Mummy & Daddy. I'm praying for you all.....the NICU really is a rollercoaster. God bless & know that we are thinking of you even if we can't communicate.

Lots of love to you all


Mike, Beth & Baby James xxxx

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 6:25 AM  

Hello Studdard Family

A Big Congratulation. I know it has been a long road but it has come to a great end. Kamryn is kicking some serious butt and Brooke will be fine. When Bekah was born she had the same thing, some fluid in her lungs. She was there for a few days then out.
Our thoughts and prayers are still with you and will continue to be there.

Love Ya'll
Jake

Jackifer June 18, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

The prayers will never stop....just know that! It's just been a miracle to see what God has been doing in all of your lives, and I am so anxious to see what amazing plans He has for you to come. Can't wait to see the girls, loving you all.

Jackie

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

Everything sounds so promising. I continue to pray that things keep on the same track. You know your friends here at DP are ready to help in any way possible... just let us know your needs.

Michelle C

The Adler's June 18, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

Congratulations! You guys sound like you're doing great...and we know Kamryn will be a CDH fighter!

Jeremy & Carrie Adler

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Congratulations Studdard Family! I am so excited to hear about Brooke and Kamryn's entrance! I am just down the street, so if you guys need anything, please let me know. All my love to you Shawn, Stef, Hollie,Brooke and Kamryn.
Susan (Cordell) Dysart

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

Congratulations!!! WOW what a whirlwind for all of you! I'm thinking of you guys saying extra prayers for speedy recovies and nothing short of another win today for Kamryn. My love to all of you.

xo - Ginger

Rachel Dominguez June 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

I am so glad that the girls are hear and haning in there. PTL for Steph's pain being under control and resting well and for baby holding and open eyes.

I am praying whole heartedly for your family at this time and will continue to do so until your family of five is at home together.

I am very excited to see pictures of these beautiful girls. What a true miracle you have just experienced.

Rachel

The JRG Foundation June 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

What a great first day! I'm glad Kamryn is doing so well today!! And I know Brooke will be in your arms in no time. Praying for continued improvement for the girls and Steph.

Love,
Bethany
The Jack Ryan Gillham Foundation

Shaye's mom June 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

I am so glad to hear the girls and Stef are doing so well. You all are in my thoughts every day. It sounds like Kamryn is a fighter!!! Can't wait to see those pictures of those little angels.

Marion June 18, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

I am glad to hear that Kamryn is doing so well. She will beat CDH and be home before you know it! Addisoin is watching over her and giving her the strngth to beat this defect!

Alan Brush June 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

I am so excited to hear everything went well yesterday!

You all are in our thoughts and prayers.

Alan Brush

Your Gospel-Loving Friend June 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

It is so great how they are both doing- especially Kamryn! What a fighter! We are praying that she keeps kicking that DH butt!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP