Holding Kamryn

>> Monday, July 13, 2009

Today, one of my friends from our BFG Group at church signed up to watch Hollie and Brooke, while I got to spend time with Kamryn at the hospital with Shawn. It's meaningful to me to be up there with Shawn, so that I can hear the questions he asks the doctors. I feel so comforted when we're there at the same time, for some reason. Well, when we got there, the person at the front desk said that we couldn't go back right then, b/c they were still rounding on Kamryn. We had to wait in the waiting room. That was a little frustrating, and was a first for us, but we did. While we were waiting, Traci, one of Kamryn's FABULOUS Primary nurses came out to give us an anniversary card, and to also let us know that I will get to hold Kamryn today. I think my heart skipped a beat when I heard that news. I was just over the moon. Below, is a picture of the anniversary card that the nurses helped Kamryn make. See her footprints? So special!!!



So, after we were able to go in to see Kamryn, we had to wait about 20 more minutes for me to hold her. That took FOREVER!!! But, finally, on Kamryn's 26th day of life, I finally got to hold my sweet baby girl.







I can't even begin to describe the feeling of holding her. She woke up a little bit right after they moved her to my arms, and then she fell right back to sleep. I think I got to hold her for about an hour. It was pure heaven!!! She started getting agitated towards the end, and ended up messing in her diaper. I couldn't have been more pleased about that as well. It was also neat seeing her face. She looks like a totally different baby, and I must say, she doesn't look a thing like Brooke. Her face is longer than Brooke's, and she has less hair. They are definitely fraternal twins! I didn't want to put her down. This was the best feeling I've had in such a long time. I'm truly thankful to Kamryn's nurse, Traci for campaigning for me to get to hold Kami. She was so patient with me, and really went out of her way so that I could have this special moment. Thank you so much Traci!!!

I also want to give a HUGE thank you to Kayla Whiddon. She watched both Hollie and Brooke today, along with her 3 children (one is a 3 month old). She also managed to cook us dinner and teach Hollie and her two daughters, Madison and Macy, how to sew. Oh, and their house is on the market, and someone called to see it while she was in the midst of all of this. Talk about Wonder Woman! Kayla, you are a true friend, and I'm so glad to know you! Thank you so much for everything you have done for us.

Kamryn's carbon this afternoon was down to 56, and her rate has moved down to 38. She is also now up to 41ml/hour of food every three hours! This is so awesome and we are so proud of our little fighter. She wants to come home so bad and we can't wait to get her home! She is definitely making great progress and continues to make her parents so proud!

Stephanie

12 comments:

Elizabeth July 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

It is the holding that will get her there too! I am sure Kamryn thought she was in heaven in her Mommy's arms! Thank you for sharing this wonderful moment! Thank Traci and Kayla for making this happen too!

Kamryn keep up the good work - one little step in front of the other!

With thoughts, prayers and Lung Function chants,
Elizabeth

Anonymous July 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

The best pictures you have shared with us yet! They brought tears to my eyes, Steph.

We are keeping Kamryn in our thoughts and prayers. If we can do anything please let us know.

Chanda July 13, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

The pictures are beautiful and speak a gazillion words for you! I am so glad to hear that you got to hold her...goodness knows, I think that is the hardest part as a parent (having to wait to hold our babies). ....She's being quite the miracle and I'm so happy for you! Chanda

Anonymous July 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

I am so excited for you that I cried! I love you all and you are in our thoughts and prayers in Waco! Go Kamryn!!!!

I love you all,

Auntie J

Amber July 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Congrats on the big day!!!!!!

Amber

Sallie Mercer July 13, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Oh Stephanie!!! I'm sooooo happy for you. What a wonderful day for you AND Kamryn. I can't even imagine how hard this has been on you, but you are truly blessed with such wonderful family and friends that are helping you. I wish I lived closer and could chip in, too! Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, always.

Love,
Sallie

Jaime's World July 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

Hi Stephanie,
I'm so glad that you finally got to hold your little girl! It really is an awesome feeling, one that you take for granted with a "well" child.
Congrats on your 12 year anniversary yesterday, too!
Sending you all hugs and prayers,
Love,
Sheryl

Anonymous July 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

Dearest Stef -

You and your baby Kami are so beautiful together. You have all been so courageous through this time, and it's wonderful to finally get to see you do "normal" Mommy/baby things. I cried too. Joe and I are so very very proud of you all and love you all so much. God has truly blessed you with this beautiful family.

We love you so much,
Mom and Joe

ashleyohls July 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

What a special moment--- and such beautiful pictures! Keeping your family in my prayers......

Ashley (Lott) Ohls

Tracy Meats July 14, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Stephanie....happy tears to see you hold your little girl, what an amazing day for you!! Beautiful pictures. It sounds like Kamryn is strong and making some good progress. We are praying for your little girl. Hope to see pics of Shawn holding Kamryn next!! Hope you are having a great day Kamryn and showing your parents, you will come home!

Hugs, Tracy

Your Gospel-Loving Friend July 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

What a special day! I still have the picture of us the first time we finally held Noah framed in our room... I am so glad you are finally able to hold that little angel of yours! We are continuing to pray for Kamryn & your family!

kmm0305 July 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

A belated Happy Anniversary! My husband and I just celebrated 12 years a week before you did.

How awesome that you were able to hold Kamryn! :) One of THE BEST feelings in the world. I love it when those nurses push for that--the nurse who helped us reach that milestone had had a baby in the NICU herself, so she knew how important it was. As we would hold Leah you could just watch the numbers on the monitors go down--heartrate, breathing--they are so much more comfortable where they belong, in your arms. We hope she continues on her progress, she is doing wonderful!

Kristyn
Leah 8.11.05 R-CDH

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP