>> Thursday, October 28, 2010
This is an email from Jennifer received a few hours ago. Please send your prayers!!!
Ava is keeping the doctors busy. The blood clot in her abdomen had decreased in size on two sonograms yesterday. We were hopeful that the medicine administered to break it up (TPA) was working. In the middle of the night the clot broke off a small piece and lodged somewhere in her right leg, knee area. Her foot was losing circulation and was cold and white. We prayed, mom had her talk with Ava, and we waited. Miraculously, the blood clot was gone at the 6:00 AM sono and her little right foot was warm, pink, and moving around.
The plan for the day was to rest, get her blood levels corrected, and prepare for surgery in the next 2-5 days. Then we were delivered the results from a brain sono done around noon today. Ava has a 6mm spot on her brain that's bleeding. Bleeding is a risk of being on ECMO because they have to use blood thinners to circulate the blood in and out of the ECMO circuit. It also could have been from the TPA clot buster medication but that was a life threatening issue yesterday so it had to be done. Her doctor immediately administered a drug that can slow down and/or stop bleeding in the brain. We won't know until results come back from another brain sono at 6:00 PM tonight. We need another miracle from above to work with Ava's strength, the medicine, and the doctor's knowledge to get her through this next battle. She HAS to make it through this so she can have her repair surgery. She HAS to get to point of the beginning of her recovery.
If the bleeding progresses she will have to come off ECMO, as early as tonight, so she can stop taking the blood thinners. If she comes off ECMO she will have to survive on her current lung capacity. We did get good news that her lungs and heart have seemed to reacted positively to this rest provided by ECMO.
Please continue to pray for baby Ava. It's working and we appreciate it.