18 Week OB Appointment

>> Thursday, February 5, 2009

We're back from our appointment which went really well. We weren't expecting any news, good or bad. First up was the sono, my favorite part. The girls were in there just having their own little party. They are so much fun to watch. I could actually feel them move, as she was doing the sono, which was AWESOME! She focused in on Kamryn first, and showed us the her heart/lungs, etc. We strained our eyes looking for that darn liver, but their machine is a little bit more grainy than Dr. Zyretsky's, so we didn't have any luck (Still praying that the liver will be below the diaphram and not in the chest cavity). The pictures and explanations are at the bottom of the post.
Next up, was Dr. Trylovich. We just love her. She's thorough and we NEVER feel rushed when we see her. I could talk to her all day. She reassured me that my rapid heart rate situation was normal, for as far along as I am. She told me what to keep an eye on. I feel good about it. She measured my belly. I'm 18 weeks 1 day, and my belly is measuring 22-24 weeks. We also talked about my tailbone hurting me pretty bad. She, of course, said it's normal. I find myself sitting in awkward positions, to relieve the pressure from the bone. I never had this problem carrying Hollie. I guess that's the difference between carrying one baby and twins. Well, that, and the fact that I'm 7 years older. OUCH!
We also discussed our options as far as hospitals are concerned. Through our research we have found that places like CHOP and UCSF are the best at handling CDH babies. We all agreed that we would prefer to deliver at one of these hospitals, but we have to be prepared for the possibility of Kamryn being in the hospital for many months. With Brooke being a newborn and Hollie in 2nd grade, it just doesn't seem to make sense to literally move for so many months. We talked to Dr. Trylovich about Children's here in Dallas and the care we would receive. While CHOP and UCSF would be the first choices, the difference in care doesn't seem to be enough to justify it. We may change our mind after our NICU tour, but for now we will deliver here in Dallas.
Pictures:

The babies are big enough to where you can really see detail now of what's going on.
The first picture shows Brooke on her back and you can clearly see her stomach below her diaphram and everything is normal:

When you look at Kamryn from this angle, you can't see that same black spot. Unfortunately, Kamryn wouldn't cooperate with us to get a good shot like this.
The next two pictures are looking down through them from above their head. The first picture is of Kamryn where you can easily see both the heart and the stomach next to each other in the same picture:
This next picture is of Brooke that shows how things should line up. Notice there are two seperate pictures here because you can't get a shot of the heart and stomach in the same picture. With the stomach below the heart and beneath the diaphram, you can only see one organ at a time which is how it should be.

Seeing this more clearly finally allowed us to see what the Doctor's have been able to see for a while now.
Next week is our amnio appt and more hi-res ultrasound pics that we will post. Thanks again for your continued prayers and support. We appreciate you all so much!
Stephanie

6 comments:

Maxton's Mommy February 6, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Hi Stephanie. Thinking of you and praying for liver down. :-) We struggled with deciding where to deliver as well and financially and practically it just made more since to deliver where we live since there is a good Childrens Hospital here. I have seen so many ultrasound pics of my little one that I can tell immediately where everything is... I am thinking if we have another child I will be very experienced and know what to look for. :-) Hope you guys ave a restful weekend... I can;t imagine carrying twins.. mine is making me hurt enough. :-)

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

I just found your blog and please know that I will start praying. I also wanted to give you the link of another CDH family that delivered in Dallas.
http://jennmillerblog.spaces.live.com/

Stephanie February 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

We truly are feeling more comfortable with our decision to deliver here in Dallas. I think why everything stands out so clearly is because we are carrying twins. Each time we see something on Kamryn, we can immediately see how it should be when we look at Brooke. They really don't have to explain much because it is right there. I agree, we should get some kind of sono certification after seeing so many of these :)

Thanks for sending us Jenn's blog. She reached out to us and offered her wisdom which we are going to take her up on :) We sent her a note this morning so that we can connect with her and get some guidance from a Dallas perspective.

Thanks so much for the support everyone!

Craig and Kristi Kuehl February 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Hang in there! This CDH journey is such a rollercoaster of emotions. Have faith that God will direct you and carry some of your burden. It would be unimaginable for me to think about being away from home for months, and BY THE GRACE OF GOD we are close to UCSF. There is no doubt in my mind you will find the best care possible for Kamryn....but if you DO come to UCSF, we will be here for support!! Keep the updates coming :)

Tracy Meats February 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Glad to hear the appt. went well and you got to see the girls having their own party! Those two girls will forever have a close bond. Even though CHOP and UCSF are wide known for caring for CDH babies, I think a hospital that has lots of experience with CDH and ECMO resources can be a good fit too. Ian's NICU was 3 hours from home and I had a 19 month old at the time and my husband had a job to go to. We had to split our weeks between being home with our other child and being with Ian in the NICU. That was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. But, you do what you have to for your family. I think the Children's hospital in Dallas will take great care of you and the girls and it sounds like your doctors are on top of things and up todate on CDH. I hope the amnio goes well next week and seeing those girls in hi-res will be fun. Take care of yourself. Many prayers for your family and Kamryn.

Hugs, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04 and WY and CO State Rep. for CHERUBS

Unknown February 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

The appointment sounded like it went well. Its so nice to be able to see them when they start to look so much more like 'people'. When is your next scan?
I love the new website look too. I just dont have the skills for it. Oh well.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP