Sleep Deprived!

>> Sunday, August 16, 2009

First of all, I just want to thank my mom (Mimi) and Joe (Papa) for coming in last weekend/week. Papa took Hollie to THE ZONE on Saturday night, and they played video games and bounced in the bounce houses all night. Then, when he left to go back to Austin on Sunday, my mom stayed here and helped out with the twins all week. She helped me put them down in the evenings and then got up with them in the mornings to let me sleep. That was sleep that I am so thankful for. Because now, I'm missing it. Shawn and I both are!

The girls are sleeping a lot during the day, and are really hard to get down at night. We literally start at 9:00pm, and have gone all the way until 1:30am. Last night, Shawn was up until 3:00am with Brooke trying to get her down. Their eating habits are so different, b/c Kamryn is still adjusting to being home, rather than being in the NICU. I think once her tummy grows a little more and she can eat more, then she will be easier. Thankfully, we have a doctor's appt. with the pediatrician on Thursday for their 2 month check up. We started to document when they eat, how much they eat, and their sleeping habits, so that we can ask the doc what gives. Needless to say, Shawn and I are both EXHAUSTED! I must say though, I'm truly thankful for my husband. He is helping me both in the evenings and in the middle of the night. I don't think I could do this without him. He has been so wonderful through all of the frustrating times, and is my rock when I need him most. I love you Bubba!

The other thing that is weighing on my mind is this stay at home mom thing. I'm not going back to work at Dr Pepper, so I'm going to be a full time stay at home mom. And we all know what that means... I have to cook. I know, the horror! I have one cook book, and that's because it's pretty and I have it on display in my kitchen, to give the facade of me knowing how to cook. I understand the basics, and can make a mean Lasagna. But, I want to be one of those moms that can do it all. Supermom! I have a lot of work to do. My mom keeps telling me not to try to be a super hero. I don't think that's what I'm going for. I'm just trying to do what I have always wanted to do, and that's to stay at home and take care of my family. It's hard work, and I'm up for the challenge. I just have a lot of learning (cooking) to do. Yesterday, at the grocery store, I think I bought every single cooking magazine on the rack. I flipped through one quickly to find a recipe that I thought Shawn and I would both like. He's a picky eater, so it's hard to find something that he would like. But, I found a beef stew that I think he would like, and I'm going to attempt to make it tomorrow. I figure that if he's not here to laugh at me as I'm chopping up vegetables, or spilling stuff all over the stove, it will be a little easier. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck. If anyone out there has any good recipes, send them my way. Oh, by the way... Allison Anderson - I keep forgetting to ask you for the poppy seed chicken recipe. Can you give it to me?

That's all for now. My friend Jackie is coming in on Tuesday to visit. She's always a huge help for me, so I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Love to all,
Stephanie

11 comments:

Anonymous August 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

Hi guys, I lost a baby to cdh in May. I have some hard questions that are personal for me. Can I email you? Please email me at susansagle@hotmail.com
Our family blog is www.susanandmonty.blogspot.com.
I'd really appreciate it. Having a hard time. Susan Caudle

Tracy Meats August 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

"Sweet dream" wishes for those 2 girls coming your way!! Before you know it, they will be sleeping through the night. I think that is one of the hardest things to do in the beginning with a baby, getting used to less sleep and you have it times two. Thinking of you both! Stephanie, I have a ton of recipes I could email you that are pretty easy and yummy!! With me staying home and my 3 boys, easy and yummy is what counts in my house!! I love the Simple & Delicious magazine put out by Taste of Home...always find good recipes in there. Also, Kraft puts out a magazine and you can sign up for emails and the magazine on Kraftfoods.com. Plus their site has some very easy recipes and you can't mess them up.

Hope you have a great week and the girls have a good 2 month check-up.

Hugs, Tracy

Anonymous August 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

May I suggest food channel/network. they have some great recipes that are not too difficult. Other than that--Betty crocker cookbook or better homes and gardens cookbook. One other hint--if you can find a "dish it up" type place where you put the meals together and then just cook them at home, they are great. We are retired and rather than go out to eat, we eat their stuff. Really good and some is really simple and they have simple directions.
good luck. Heather is also a stay at home mom (clearlyrandom.com) with Sabrina (lcdh). sometimes it is the best thing to do--cheaper than daycare. Do try to find some thing that is your "time out" so you do get a break once in a while.
Jean (Sabrina's gma)

Jaime's World August 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Hi Stephanie,
LOVE your post! I HATE cooking, too! I have many of the Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meals...and YES, they ONLY take 30 minutes. Most of them are pretty good. When I want to cheat, I just purchase stuff from Market Day at Jared's school.
Happy Cooking! :-)
Love,
Sheryl

Christina Jones - dpsg August 17, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

Stephanie - I can only imagine what it is like in your house !! I had a hard enough time getting 1 to sleep, much less 2 !! I am so happy to hear about your support system though and see how many people you have in your life that love you and your family and are stepping up to help. Cooking will come in time and just because you are a SAHM, doesn't mean you have to be Bree VanDecamp LOL.
Now, what is this I read about you not coming back to work ?!?!?! That brought a little tear to my eye !! I just got to know you and have learned so much about your character and strength and now you aren't coming back !! I will forever regret not talking to you sooner. Best of luck with all that you do and I know you will be a superhero in no time at all!!

Anonymous August 17, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

Stephanie,

Taste of Home has a lot of quick and easy recipes. You can subscribe to the magazine, or view the recipes on line at tasteofhome.com. Just remember that sometime simple is best and don't try to cook five course meals everynight.

Candice and Rob Beal August 17, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

SORRY ABOUT THE SLEEP THING, THAT MUST BE HARD.....NOW ON TO THE COOKING...LOL, YOU CRACK ME UP AND I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULDN'T COOK???! I HAVE COOKED SINCE I WAS 18, SO I'M PRETTY USE TO IT. SINCE THE LOSS OF JACKSON I HAVEN'T COOKED ONCE THOUGH. FOR SOME REASON I DON'T THINK I'LL EVER COOK LIKE I USE TO, I HAVE NO DESIRE AND AM JUST DONE WITH IT....BAD THING FOR ROB, I DNT THINK HE UNDERSTANDS EITHER. MAYBE AFTER TIME IT'LL CHANGE. LOVE YALL

Anonymous August 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

As someone who has thoroughly enjoyed your lasagna in the past, I know you can cook! I've got a ton of good cooking blogs/sites to send you, as well as my favorite recipes to share. I'm thinking the crock pot is going to be your new best friend. :) Love, Barbi

Anonymous August 17, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

I have a few great recipes for you too. I am also going to try to get all the great family recipes from mom so I can compile a cookbook of family recipes. I think that will be a fun task.

Cooking Light mag has been a lifesaver for me. At the end of the year they usually compile a cookbook of some of the best recipes. I look forward to the magazine every month and buy the cookbook at the end of the year.

Mom and I also will each make a recipe and then compare notes about little changes/substitutions, etc. We will have fun this next year or two.

Chanda August 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

Good luck with the sleep!!!!...as for the cooking, check out the site www.gooseberrypatch.com. I love their cookbooks plus think they're easy and yummy recipies...plus, if you like the country look, they're really cute books

Thinking of you guys! Chanda

Elizabeth August 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

Anytime an infant - just one can make you sleep deprived! (I imagine there were moments and days Hollie had you both tired too! You just don't recall that!)

Noah ate every hour on the hour for the first 8 weeks - you are on auto pilot X10. I hope they both adjust to a schedule soon so you both can get some rest.

Ah - Mom - sleep when they are sleeping!

With thoughts and prayers,
Elizabeth

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP